We have to have a “why” when we set a goal. Corinne will also call it a compelling reason. People think their “why” is why they’ll stop overeating, but that’s not how it works.
When you’re losing weight, your “why” doesn’t make donuts taste bad or make pizza unappealing. Your “why” gets you started and reminds you in those moments of temptation why you’re doing it.
Corinne is training for a 5k. She has a sub-30 completion goal. Growing up she wasn’t athletic and dreamed of being an athlete. She eventually became a runner but was never fast. She’s always wanted to run 3 miles in less than 30 minutes. After years of dreaming about it, she’s publicly announced this is the year she’s doing it. She even hired a running coach to help her with a plan.
She question her “why.” She doesn’t want something hanging around out there that she’s wanted for a long time, but never applied herself. She wants to honor her word and do something she said she would. Her run today was hard, but she finished it because she told herself that there’s no other option.
At some point, we have to agree to not be a quitter anymore. In the moments you really want to quit, you may not be able to do your best, but you just keep going.
You quit on yourself when you don’t process why you overate. When you decide to blow it for three days. When you decide to totally give up.
Just because you overate, it doesn’t make you a quitter. It means you have a problem to solve. Quitters don’t solve their problems. They stop in the face of problems.
You have to tell yourself “I’m going to do this. I am figuring this out. When the problems come, I’ll figure them out.”
Overeating on the weekends used to be an excuse for being overweight, now it is just a problem to solve.
Corinne talks about her goals from the future of where she’s going. Don’t dwell on your past, it doesn’t matter. Don’t give a fuck about what you did in the past. You need to be thinking about your future. Don’t alter your future because you’re so focused on your past. Focus on where you’re going.
Before starting another diet, ask yourself these questions:
1. Why do you want to lose weight? It doesn’t have to be an epic answer. It can be something simple. Corinne wanted to be able to play with her son. Eventually, it transitioned to the fact that she wanted to hot and sexy. You can have lots of reasons (to be off meds, to become an exerciser). Sometimes you’ll need more than one reason depending on the situation.
2. Who is waiting on your to become the healthier version of you that loves yourself and loves this version of you? Who is in your life that would love it if you learned to love and take care of yourself? Corinne’s people were Logan and Chris. Chris always believed in her and she knows it made him sad that she didn’t see herself the way he saw her. How must it feel to see someone you love be so miserable in their life? Look at yourself through your loved one’s eyes. When you’re overweight, even if you aren’t saying anything, the people that love you can tell when you’re struggling inside. What version of yourself do you want your babies to grow up watching?
3. What will life look like once I finally solve weight loss? What will I no longer have to worry about? What things will I get to experience? What will life look like when you’re comfortable with food and happy with who you are? It’s easy to think about what might go wrong, but we can train ourselves to think about what might go right and what could be. We have to work to see possibility instead of failure.
4. What problems in your life go away when you finally lose weight? The fear of missing out goes away when you lose weight and learn to control food. It would be amazing if your clothes fit everyday. No longer worrying about seatbelt extenders on airplanes. Write down as many things as you can think of.
These are such important tools of weight loss. We can be whatever scale number we want, but figuring out what sort of life we want is really the important part. When you know what life you want, it makes it clear what you need to do to get there.
- Free Weightloss Course: www.pnp411.com
- Losing 100 LBS Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/losing-100-pounds-with-phit-n-phat/
- Facebook Lives: www.facebook.com/pnpgirl