We talked about what I like to eat for breakfast, so now we will talk about lunch. On Sunday during my big prep day I make a huge bowl of salad. I use it for lunch and dinner and it’s the spring board for many things I cook. What I love about the salad is that it knocks out a lot of vegetable for the day. Even if I’m not eating a “salad” for lunch I at least have a side salad of this base to start because it just makes getting vegetables in so simple.
2 heads of Red Leaf Lettuce
1 bag or bunch of spinach leaves torn
1 head of other lettuce that looks good
1 bunch of fresh cilantro OR parsley chopped
1 container of cherry tomatoes halved
1 cucumber diced
1 bunch of green onions
1 red pepper diced
1 zucchini diced
You can add any vegetables you want to this. I try to use what’s the best looking when I’m shopping. Don’t put dressing on until you are ready to use! I made that mistake one Sunday and by Friday I was eating salad soup.
1/2 tbsp of EVOO
2-3 tbsp of Balsamic Vinegar
1 packet of Splenda
1 tsp of Ground Mustard
Dash of Chili Powder
I make some of this to use as a dressing. I also like to use Kraft Done Right dressings in a pinch. Roasted Garlic and Pepper is good and Chris and Logan like it. I’m not much of a dressing girl, though. MOST of the time I just use some balsamic vinegar and go.
Another good way to make dressing is to take a 1/4 cup of cottage cheese and mix it with some type of Sweet and Spicy type mustard. Just stir and then put on salad and toss. Gets you a little protein and calcium without trying really hard.
Lunch Ideas On the Go and Fun!
I keep frozen food because I never know when I have to run out the door or I’m wanting something fun versus what I have cooked. Honestly, ya’ll, I do a prep each week but I am not above wanting Mexican, pizza, and other things you love, too. The difference is that when I want it I have planned ahead for those cravings by keeping a suitable fall back in the kitchen.
That keeps me from running for the border and trust me, I can put a hurt on Nachos Bell Grande with some Supreme Tacos on the side. Seriously, I WILL ALWAYS WANT JUNK FOOD but I CHOOSE to eat other things because I HATED myself back then.
So, if you like to eat crap food like I do you HAVE TO FIND things that are going to see you through these times that are easy to get your hands on and that you will feel successful when you have it. Here’s some of those things.
Cedarlane Products- Beans and Rice and Roasted Veggie and Cheese are my favorites! The Cedarlane brand is by Dr. Sears who is the author of The Zone. They have solid products and many organic versions. I like them because I don’t feel like I’m getting a bunch of junky stuff when I want to eat something easy.
You will still want to look at the calories. Not everything is low calorie but a lot of it is.
Pizza wise I love South Beach Diet Pizzas. I just haven’t found another brand that can rival the taste and the protein in them. Not clean but they are certainly good and beat dialing up Domino’s. I’ve even ate two when I was super hungry and wanted to “splurge”. 700 calories for two and let me tell you, when I want to eat and want to eat a splurge it wouldn’t be anything for me to put down a half to full pizza. I didn’t get to 250 by half-assing my eating just like I didn’t get to 140 by being unrealistic with my habits and desires.
The other awesome trick I have with the SBD is that I cook it up for road trips and eat it cold several hours later. I just put in a Ziploc sandwich bag and toss in the cooler. Makes me feel like I’m having a treat when everyone else is having McDonald’s.
What I Eat Routinely
I keep the following in the kitchen and rotate these things each week:
- Big salad topped with can of tuna mixed with 1 tsp of Light Miracle Whip and 1 tbsp of mustard, 1 apple
- 5 oz. of Chicken cooked in either salsa or terriyaki marinade over 2 cups of roasted vegetables
- 5 oz. of Chicken in a low carb wrap with spinach leaves, 1 cup of baby carrots dipped in Sweet and Spicy Mustard
- 3 oz. of grilled Salmon on big salad
- 2 hard boiled eggs mashed with mustard and celery seed and cumin, red pepper strips, and toasted Ezekial Bread made into a sandwich and have salad with it
- 4 egg white spinach and onion omelet (made in microwave) on toasted Ezekial Bread, 1 slice of 2% cheese, 1/2 sweet potato
- 1 baked potato with 1/2 cup of cottage mixed in and topped with salsa. I eat this with a salad
- Big salad tossed with 1/2 cup of black beans and lentils mixed, feta cheese, and a few nuts of choice
Normally if you look in my fridge or panty I have:
- Hardboiled eggs
- The Big Salad
- Apples, strawberries, blueberries, grapefruit, and grapes at minimum
- Pre-bagged 4-5 oz. chicken breasts cut up and cooked already for salads and sandwiches
- Low Carb Wraps, Ezekial Bread
- Baby Carrots, Spinach, Red Pepper Strips, Chopped Green Onions
- Salmon and Cod we have for dinner almost every Sunday night so I have leftover fish for a day or two for salads and wraps
- Cans of tuna
- Cartons of egg whites, cottage cheese, and 2% cheese shredded and sliced
- Cooked and bagged cold sweet potatoes (great to chase with protein shake after a workout)
- Baking potatoes to pop in the microwave
- Salsa, mustard, lite MW, Crystal Light, Splenda, Protein Powder, Sugar Free Pudding and Jello Powders
- Cans of beans and other vegetables for quick sides (I often will want Macaroni and Cheese and eat a WW version with a can of green beans mixed in – sounds weird but it’s good)
- Nuts already bagged into 1 and 1/2 oz portions