I found another jewel in the Queen’s crown from 2007. Use this examine where you are in your journey. A few small changes can make what you are doing REALLY pay off!
Let’s talk about the two primary reasons we break our “diets”.
You are who you hang with. Pure and simple. How many times on the weekend have you been going strong until you went out drinking or out to eat with your friends and family? Suddenly all the good work of the week and the resolve you had gets tossed out the window because you are now with people who are not like minded. You can’t always avoid going out but there are definite ways to side step the pitfalls:
- Some situations you do have a choice. Is it more important to you to go out drinking with your pals EVERY FRIDAY AND SATURDAY or to hit your fat loss goals? I’m not saying you can’t ever go out, but if you don’t have the power to make the right choices then you don’t go. Stay home, go to a movie, or hop in a circle. I don’t care what you do, just avoid situations with people who are going to pressure you into doing things you will HATE yourself for come Monday morning.
- Have you been honest with your loved ones? Have you told EVERYONE that you are fed up with your lifestyle and you have got to change now to live a life you are proud of? Don’t sit there and tell them, “Wah, wah, wah, I’m on a miserable diet.” Rather, say, “I’m ready for a lifestyle filled with activity and feeling good about myself. That lifestyle won’t happen through buffalo wings, ding dongs, cookies, and french fries. I want to look as good as I feel and I DESERVE IT.” I promise if you tell people that statement they will feel like a complete jerk trying to dissuade you from your goals.
- When you don’t have a choice on social situation, go in with a plan, a full stomach, and pride that you are going to be in control rather than doing what everyone else is doing.
A true sign of being an adult is confidence. Trust me girls, we AREN’T IN HIGH SCHOOL ANYMORE! We don’t have to impress anyone but ourselves. We are old enough now to make decisions that are for us and not for the popular crowd. When you order healthy food it doesn’t draw attention to yourself unless you make a big deal out of it.
Hell, if someone says something to you for ordering chicken just say, “I pay way too much to my trainer to report in I ate and drank my way through the weekend. That just means killer workouts for me so I’m keeping my belly filled with foods I know she’ll approve of.” OK…you have to be a client to use that one, but it works. PSA…you can easily join PNP for a small joining fee and 9.95 a month and truthfully use that statement all you want. 🙂
Boredom/Lack of Routine
The other killer for most people is getting bored. We sit around, we think of things to fill up our time and it usually means a snack. This is where you need a three pronged approach:
- NEVER EVER HAVE JUNK IN YOUR HOUSE. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again…your house is your sanctuary so treat it as so. If you don’t have it at home you probably will do great!
- Find something to fill your time up. I know weekends can be tough if you are single. Rather than reaching for some ho-ho’s how about you click on Google and research clean eating, strength training, women’s strength training, running, workout fueling strategies, just to name a few. Heck my site is full of stuff you can read about and research. Immerse yourself in the things you want and you’ll find your resolve to be stronger.
- Go to the grocery store armed with a weekly menu, shop, shop, shop, and then come home and cook, cook, cook for the week. So many of you say you are too tired during the week to cook but then lay around all day Saturday and Sunday watching TV or worse yet, hanging out with your not so Phat friends who pile drive you with chips and salsa. Tell those girls if they want a girls night out to make up their menus and meet at your house for a weekly food prep. They can come help you if they aren’t into it. You never know when you might inspire someone else to change their life.
I would love to hear your own tips and strategies for these situations. Tell me who and what is your pitfall and how you will overcome it.